Sunday, 24 June 2012

Australian Retailers don't understand their customers dilemma

I felt Saturdays experience was indicative of Australian Retailing and its inability to compete with the internet. Retailers in this country just don't under get it. We have options as customers to buy elsewhere the stuff they have on the shelf.

I'm a fan of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar. The closest shop is a 20 minute drive. In principal I like supporting local retailers.

However upon arriving and requesting my shot of Braggs, I was told I'll have to wait for 30 minutes, so they can go down stairs to the dungeon and bring some up. Sure its not the end of the world that I have to wait 30 minutes to get "the stuff".

But, I could have stayed home, and bought the same stuff with about 3 mouse clicks on eBay. In the post box by Wednesday.

But I didn't want to do that. I want very much to support my local shops. More and more I find myself buying online. I need to question my own loyalty to Retailing. I like walking into a shop and all that goes with it.

Ironically, whilst I was killing my 30 minutes, I wandered into an ABC Book Shop and bought a copy of Tom Watson's Dial M for Murdoch, which I couldn't get from Amazon on the Kindle. The irony of waiting is not lost.

I wish Australian Retailers all the best. But I think the wave of change is just beginning




No comments:

Post a Comment