Saturday, 2 August 2014

Crystal Radio Kid

I loved wire as a kid. We had lots of copper wire in the garage. One of my first experiences with wire was to make myself a crystal radio. I was amazed that it worked and used to lie in bed when I was supposed to be sleeping listening to 2ZB of Radio Windy. Tut, tut. Naughty boy. But the radio had opened my mind to what might be possible. I had normal copper wire of varying thicknesses, lots of plastic insulated wire which I liked to strip at the ends and solder. But it was the shear versatility of the wire. There are so many things one can do with wire and a bit of imagination.



I remember at the time I made my first solar hot water panel. I was amazed at how much energy is available say for example on a roof. I'd spent quite a bit of time on the roof perfecting my hand glider. And I thought to myself, there's so much energy up here why do we waste it everyday? So I cast around the garage in my mind, and saw that we had all we need to make a solar hot water panel. So I got the 4x2, sawed into length, found a steel plate I could glue the tubing to, same black paint, and a clear cover to pt over the whole thing to potentially trap the hot air and give it a real boost. Got it all rigged up and was amazed at the steaming hot water that poured forth. In fact it was too good, and after a while fell apart due to excessive heat. Sad, but encouraging. Since that time I've always had an interest in alternative energy, and would propagate said if the opportunity ever arose.

No comments:

Post a Comment