Monday, 9 February 2015

How to Quickly Prime Your Fluval Canister Filter in 5 Steps

I've heard and read that many people, having completed the maintenance of their Fluval Canister Filter (105 through 405) spending hours, and sometimes multiple days using the inbuilt priming pump trying to establish the water flow. I was faced with that today, and thought there must be a better way.
Fluval Canister Filter


The filter was all plumbed in, and yet the canister was dry as a bone. Even with the AquaStop valve open, nothing was happening.

This fix is simple and quick. I'll demonstrate on a spare AquaStop valve and a bit of hose pipe I had lying around.




Step 1
The Steps.

1. Remove the AquaStop valve from the Filter, and whilst still connected to the vertical flow and return pipes, insert into the left-hand side of the AquaStop valve (the "In" side) the spare pipe.  

Step 1















2. Open both the AquaStop valve and the capture lever as shown in the photo. 

Step 2
3. Suck on the connected pipe, and syphon the water. Some spillage is inevitable. Quickly remove your mouth to prevent "tasting" the water.

4. Close the AquaStop valve to prevent excessive water loss, and return the AquaStop valve to the filter and reconnect in the normal way.

5. Prime the filter 2 or 3 times, and connect the filter to the wall socket.

The water should flow without hesitation.

Try this the next time should you have problems establishing water flow with your Fluval Canister. Good luck and let me know how you go.

Here is a video of the filter running just after starting up.

1 comment:

  1. I have troubles with my 305's self-prime quite regularly too. Sometimes a little more gravity helps, by placing the canister on the floor (instead of on its stand), and giving the hoses a little wiggle to dislodge some of the air. I've found too, that if both intake & outspout are underwater (in the tank), that seems to help. (I'm guessing that as I'm using the manual pump, as the water drops back in the intake , air is not sucked back into the outspout; being then a 'closed system,' only water will be sucked back in.) I've tried it with an empty canister, with a partially-filled canister, and a full canister. Sometimes it just seems to have a mind of its own. :P

    I've glugged *way too many mouthfuls of icky fish water (and after a maintenance it's disturbed, and that much ickier!), but thought I'd give this a try. It worked like a *charm*! I did get a chug of fish water though... but I suspect it's because I sucked a little too hard, not expecting it to work that easily (or quickly!)

    Note that I didn't remove the 2nd (out) hose - it worked just fine leaving both hoses on. As suggested, be ready to close up the hoses quickly as soon as the water starts flowing (and/or have a towel or bucket close by to catch the spillage).

    Thanks so much for this tip! It doesn't taste so great... but for me at least, it was worth it so as not to have to keep fiddling with the primer!

    ReplyDelete