Monday, 11 May 2015

Why Formula 1 is Dead in my Mind

I vaguely recall when I was a kid seeing briefly on New Zealand's black and white TV service, this view of a Can Am car rocketing away from a corner. Needless to say I was captivated, and naturally excited to know a fellow New Zealander was shaking things up in North America.

Since then I've briefly participated, and mostly watched motor racing. The reason I was so drawn to this odd ball sport was the sounds, the sleek looking cars and the drama of the sport. Bruce McLaren seemed to have for me the ideal approach to the sport. He tested, developed and figured things out for himself. Success followed and the luck followed his hard work.

Fast forward to 2015, and whilst the sport continues, its been heavily anesthetized with rules, regulations and transformed into a high speed economy drive. What happened to the gladiators of old who knew how to work the crowd?

For me the cars now, particularly Formula 1, sounds more like a vacuum cleaner conference, or maybe a sewing machine rodeo. The central reason I first got involved all those years ago, is now gone. I find myself drawn more to the FIA World Endurance Championship.

I doubt sincerely the FIA and our Bernie can see beyond the profit motive and actually what's good for the sport. If they want loyal me back, then they need to listen.



No comments:

Post a Comment